Saturday, February 02, 2002

We ate hot pot today. I feel as if I had just come back from Fogo de Chao (read entry on 1/28/02). Aiyah.

Anyway, so I helped set up the table and helped my mom with the food. By means of helping, I unwrapped the packaged meat (styrofoam plate with beef wrapped with plastic wrap). But as I was unwrapping the packaged meat, I warped (haha) back to memories of one night in Cali. I had went over to my friend's house to have a slumber party. We watched movies and ate junk food for the majority of the night. Of course, this was in the early years, so we were crazed with movies of guys, especially guys that were extremely "cute" and "ungettable" because they were...teen stars, or scary movies, pretending we were scared when we were peeing in our pants. So we rented Now and Then (ahh Devon Sawa), Pinnochio :sp?: (JTT; formerly known as Jonathan Taylor Thomas), and oh the infamous Child's Play (shivers...that movie still freaks me out). Well, actually that has nothing to do with the packaged meat.

Anyway, I sidetrack...When we had to eat dinner, I realize that the food was served on these styrofoam plates that were recycled from packaged raw meat. I thought, "Hey, That's awesome! Linda's mom knows how to recycle!", again I was pretty young back then and oh so innocent which leads to the ignorance one takes on as a child. I had just now realize that this family were not able to afford regular silverware or plates or anything like that. Now that I remember, I don't think that they had much in their house. All there was were the necessities. Like beds, w/o the platform, or lawn chairs that were inside the house, and a 12 inch television in the master bedroom.

I think the point of me telling this was either one: I was a foolish child, or two: Some people don't have it as easy as I do. Actually, it's both. I often wish that I thought like I did. Not knowing the bad stuff in things and looking for the good like recycling. Also, to consider how good I got it as a human being.

On Thursday, my US History teacher had a powerpoint presentation with music and everything. Basically, it's like a movie, but with emotions and feeling. It was a production of the Holocaust. Images of dead, dissipated bodies of flesh and bones. Pictures of parents-less Jewish Children with fated doom of death. These people were unfortunately fated with death because of their heritage. It made me cry, which is not unusual. Which all adds up to the fact...that I got it good so I never ever should complain...at all.

No comments: