Saturday, February 16, 2002

So, I just finished watching the movie A Walk to Remember. The kind of love stories that are the best is where the audience can actually identify with and know that the love is real. The actors had done such a good job faking the sincerity of love that I cried. It's really easy to make me cry esp. when the meaning is deep and spiritual. In the next few paragraphs, I'm just going to throw things out there about the movie that really struck me. So, if you intend on watching the movie and do not want to know anything about the movie, DO NOT READ MY BLOG, it'll ruin the whole movie, but I'm pretty sure even if you have watched the movie, what I say is going to be pretty not understandable (it's 3 in the morning). hehe.

Before I go into depth about the movie, I just want to rant about one thing.

True. It is a chick flick. But now the question is...what's wrong with that? I mean, of course, one can quickly label this movie as a "chick flick", but just because there's love and passion and spirituality, it makes it unreasonable for a guy to watch it? I really don't think so. Stop and smell the roses and watch a chick flick to see how sensitive you really are.

One thing that I enjoyed was the love that the couple had. They were inseparable. They didn't seem at all agitated with each other at any point of the movie, well except when they were not in love. Often times, at school, I see relationships that develop and crumble in the blinking of an eye. I guess that's due to the so called "puppy love", where one just seeks after someone to hold and kiss and talk to each other on the phone about nothing important. Yes, there are some of my friends who do have seemingly lasting relationships, but you have to wonder, will it last? Hehe, today my teacher had told us that during her high school and college years, she went out with tons of guys: a new boyfriend each year to take to the formal. But, when she had finally met one guy, one guy who would sweep her off her feet, she married him after 4 months of the day that they met and they've been married for 33 years. Let's hear a resounding "Awwww".

Anyway, I desire to have a relationship with my future husband unlike any I've known before. I want to wake up in the morning of each day and be glad because I have that other person in this world who cares as much for me as I for him.

There's a problem. In the movie, Jamie was reluctant to be with Landon because of what may happen to her: falling madly in love when she knew her fate and at the same time, she didn't know what to feel because she never had a relationship. I have that same problem. Despite my circumstances now, I realize I just hate boys sometimes. The way I've been pushed around by guys has hardened my heart towards them. As a result, I don't know what or how to feel around guys that I'm attracted to or not. I just get uncomfortable. I put my hope in God and wait in expectation.

Jamie was an outsider. She was a loner. She lived in her own world of God and love and spirituality. I relate completely. Although I'm not as altruistic as her, I do understand the competence that she has as an individual, living as a reverend's daughter and all. She blocks out the world around her at school and focuses on what's real and true. Individuality screams through her body to every one at her school, yet the peers fail to view it as "cool". What a transcendentalist thought.

A few favorite scenes of mine (I hope you don't mind me sharing *wink*)
1. When Landon says about how could there be good if there's so much bad stuff like suffering (hopefully I don't butcher the thought), she reputes by saying "If there's no suffering, where's the compassion?"

2. When she slams the door in his face.

3. When he was pushed about hundreds of times by the blond. That was pretty hilarious

4. When he kisses her right out of the blue when she finished singing. She looked so surprised.

5. When he catches her after she had saw the flyer.

6. When he had trouble with asking her to dinner.

7. Everytime he had fulfilled Jamie's To do list...the tatoo..."two places at once"...the comet...marriage in mother's church.

8. When he read and she recited 1 Corinthians 13.

9. When she called him her angel.

10. When he went to his father and cried and embraced.

11. How he wore the same clothes.

12. How she wore the sweater he gave her.

13. How she saw the light of the situation even when it was so bleak.

14. How he was with her 24/7 when she was in the hospital.

15. How he went through the trouble of making a telescope just for her to see the comet.

16. How he specifically went to the Reverend to have permission to take her out.

17. How he had been a "miracle".

18. How he had brought two blankets because she wasn't "seducible".

19. When they had actually kissed on the dock. She let go of her fear and just went for it.

20. How it had actually been a good movie.

One thing I don't quite understand was the attraction. What was the reason behind his attraction to her? Was it her "makeover" during the play? Was it because she was "different than most girls"? Well, during the movie, I thought it was the faith that she had that drew him to her. The faith in God and how strong she was in Him made her more appealing. I guess in the same respect, Christ in us makes us more appealing. One thing I've heard over and over again is how people are attracted to Christ. God brings them closer by us. The use of our lives allows people to understand who Christ is and how tremendously he affects us.

I was kind of disappointed with the end of the movie. Well, not too disappointed. He had gotten his life together all right and his love never left him, but you have to wonder, where's the faith? She had constantly talked about God and spirituality, but he kept looking at the love, which I must understand is the meaning of the movie, but...well...I dunno.

Oh and for number 18, the scene had reminded me of a dream I once had. Well. I'd tell you, but then you know that I'm a hopeless romantic. Well, actually, you can probably guess that just by reading what I put on this blogger thingy. hehe. I'll just tell you then. So this dream: I'm with this guy, who supposedly is "the one", and we're by the shimmering lake, just sitting in silence. Then he asks me if I was cold and wanted to get in the car. I had a bad feeling about getting in the car with him because I never really know what the guy wants and in such cases, I think he wants to "seduce" me (see the correlation?) (this is in my dream and I always assume the worse about guys). But. A big BUT, he goes to his trunk and pulls out a large wool blanket just to fit two and opens the back door for me. I still am nervous about what he was to do. He skooches me over as he enters and wraps both of us in the blanket and we sit again, but in arms of each other. =) "awwwww" hehe. Do know this was an actual dream. I even wrote it down in my personal diary.

*sigh* Love. What a wonderful thing.

Wow this is the longest blog I've ever done.

No comments: