Sunday, April 21, 2002

We're reading The Glass Menagerie in English class.

My teacher says to the class, "I look around here and there aren't many in here". Everyone looks about to see what she was talking about. Then she asks the class, "You guys, most likely, know this kind of person. Look around at your peers. Do you know anyone who doesn't talk much, who are a bit shy." Daniel Noll turns to me and exclaimed, "Hi Grace!", letting the entire class hear. Everyone started to laugh, and there, I blushed. It's true.

Then the students gave their input on why people are shy. Some were pretty accurate and others were pretty insulting. One comment by Daniel was that "Shy people aren't really shy. The reason they don't talk much is due to the fact that they've seen how extroverted people are and how they are treated, and would rather not be so upfront about so much stuff." Well, that applies to me. Another comment by Dom was that "Some people don't talk much because they don't have much self-confidence in themselves to present themselves to other people too soon." Bull's eye. Not surprisingly, Lindsay also included that "extroverted people tend to drown out those people and in the end, they don't get the chance to share what's on their mind." Another good point. THEN there's the Ashley Christian. You've had one of her probably in your classes during high school; the loudmouth that won't shut up... Yeah she says shy people don't talk as much because "they're simply not interesting or they have nothing good to talk about." If I could smack people, I would, but I can't. =P Anyway, I just thought that was interesting.

English class is one of my favorite classes. During Study Hall, I'd read the short stories and the poems inside my textbook. I'd be so attentive in class. Ironically, though, it's the class that I do the worse in. I've never gotten a high A in English class. I've always had trouble with Reading Comprehension. And I never really study for the tests or do the assignments. Isn't that weird?

No comments: