Saturday, July 21, 2012

He said, "You're more beautiful in person than you are in your photo." :)

That was the most memorable line of the date.

So I went on a date with a boy. He wanted to eat sukiyaki, so we met up after my class to eat lunch. With this being our first meeting after a couple skype conversations, I went into the date with the expectation of making a friend. Thus, it turned out to be very casual and brief. He wasn't exactly sure of the location of the restaurant, so I found it kind of ironic that I was leading the two of us to a restaurant he had been to before. I tried to make sure our conversation flowed because we already had a language barrier. Lunch was good. I enjoyed that he was thoughtful in making sure I ate the foods I liked. Once we were done eating though, the conversation started to feel strained. I think I felt I was beginning to irritate him, maybe? I was asking a lot of questions and at one point, felt like I was prying.   He misunderstood me when I asked, "Was the divorce recent?" He began to say, "I don't know the reason..." Then, I repeated myself to avoid correcting him. And he thought for a moment, and shorted with, "That doesn't matter."


Maybe I shouldn't ask about someone's parents' divorce, maybe? Maybe that's a memo I missed. 


Once that moment passed, I just decided to keep it cool and aloof. We paid our checks separately and were on our way to the movie theater to watch the Amazing Spiderman. Again, I led the way. Once we arrived at the theater, the next movie time available was 8:45pm which was like 6 hours later. So he decided to go home because he was waiting for a call. We parted ways and that was it.

I don't think this guy knows how to woo a girl -- much like many Taiwanese guys. Even though I had the expectation of gaining a friendship, I don't think he can afford to be so passive about relationships at his age. Is that judgmental? Probably.

To be completely honest, I seem to be easily bored with the dates I've been on. There's that first initial twinge of excitement about meeting with someone new and possibly interesting -- full of promise and potential. But as the date progresses, I find myself losing interest, bored, and disappointed.

3 comments:

Invictus Diligo said...

Whoa, whoa... Why didn't you tell us during the hand chat that you were going on a date?!

Sounds like we need another hand chat!!

Lisa said...

Where is the Like button for other people's comments? I wanted to use it on Stacy's post...

expr3ss said...

lol -- well, I didn't know at that time that I was going on a date.

Oh I know right? blogger needs to change that...