Friday, June 15, 2018

sacrifice

I think my new best friend is...my mom! No joke. I've spoken to her a handful of times since my trip home in April. She and I catch up on what's going on in our respective places or the latest family gossip, and it's become comfortable and comforting to express our feelings. People always say their mom is the best. But how can everyone's mom be the best? I guess, best is relative to what they know and have experienced. But I really do think my mom is the best. lol.

She truly epitomizes the word "sacrifice". Today, my boss says, "it's payday! but also, it's payment day..." She says that having children, you don't realize how much you rack up in credit card bills. She says she ends up spending more on her children than herself. And she'd rather have it that way. My mom is no different. She has sacrificed her time, money, and energy to her family and still does the same to this day. She has a truly gentle spirit, always quick to listen rather than speak. Her heart is somehow always full and always giving to her family and friends. She is most likely the most Christ-like example in my life.

Back to this Mom-being-my-best-friend...I never thought in a million years that this would be the case. But it's definitely for the better because with each visit, I see my parents aging. It does get disheartening that my trips back usually involve many visits to the hospital or reports on their health. I hope my trip next year would be more exclusive to spending more quality time, perhaps a true family vacation.

No comments: