Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Free acts of service?

Today, I was driving home from work. And I stopped at the intersection of Beechnut and Beltway 8. As I waited patiently for the light to turn green, a man comes with a bottle and squeegee to wash my windshield. He didn't glance over to me to see if I wanted it. I waved no. But he did it anyway. Gah, now, I start to think do I or don't I? Well, I'm about giving and receiving, very transactional. But I didn't ask him to do it, I even signaled, "NO." And if I do roll down my window, who knows what he'll do. But then, if I don't roll down my window, he'd be like what's up? and may even do something worse. So I resolve, No. I didn't ask for it, why should I pay for it? After he was done, he gestured, "whaddup?" by raising his arms in like a do-you-want-to-fight sort of way.

And I gave him my shy, I-don't-want-to-give-you-money-but-I-appreciate-the-thought look. haha. And he went on his way.

Today, my coworkers talked about inter-racial dating. I don't see color. But I know my family does. I know I'm open to dating other races. But, I have to keep in mind the future. Goodness, what to do.

The Joy of the Lord is my Strength. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

1 comment:

Tai Ming Cheng said...

Hi, I came upon your post after Googling "Beechnut and Beltway 8 squeegee" because I drive thru there everyday after work. There's one younger guy who will spit at you if your window is down and he will dance in the middle of the street, slowing down traffic. I'm not sure if there's anything the police can do about it. It seems to be worse there these days as there are two or three cleaners at a time competing for cars. I feel sorry for the homeless(?) people there but if they clean my windshield without my permission I've stopped giving them my change. I wave "no" to them clearly but most still just go ahead. I can't believe the area has gotten this bad. Your post is from 10 yrs ago.