Friday, February 24, 2012

BigByte

So, I taught English to young learners for approximately two months. A female teacher who is my age was pregnant, and the school was desperately looking for a substitute to fill her position while she took her maternity leave. I happily stepped in. These last two months were great. I learned a lot from observing her and other teachers and how they teach kids. I had a good handle on the kids before their winter break, but never regained the same level of control. I don't know if it was because of all the school activities or that I was a bad teacher, but I had a hard time.

Like last week, for instance, I asked the students to do a simple writing exercise. But they wouldn't stop complaining, kept getting out of their seat, and disrupting class. There was a boy who explicitly said, "I don't like Teacher Grace." I didn't know if he was trying to say, "I don't like {writing}, Teacher Grace," or that he really meant his distaste for me...

Nevertheless, I miss them. I met up with the HR lady who hired me in the first place. I was under the impression that this was a sure thing -- that I would definitely have a spot for the upcoming year. But within the first ten minutes of our conversation, she said there weren't any openings at the school.

This isn't a bad thing, it gives me a chance to venture out and try other schools or other job opportunities. Also, it's given me a lot of time to think if teaching really is something that I can see myself doing. But, after the pondering comes to a short pause, all I can think about is how much I miss my friends. Yes, I have a weird dependency on them -- can't say no, people pleaser, separation anxiety, etc. But it's one of those feelings I can't let go, no matter how attractive living in Taipei is. Pros: the healthcare is amazing here, cost of living is minimal, and most importantly, my parents. The fact that I don't have friends here isn't a big deal. My dad says that my friends in the US will always be there for me. If I move back to the states, I won't have a car, a home, or a job...

a job. right. I need to find a job now. Which brings me back to my first thought. I wonder if I would make a good teacher. I'm leaning more towards no. so confused. Oh well, I'll just procrastinate some more in the meantime.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Teaching is hard, but I believe that you can do anything with God's help (if it's His will). I will be praying for you while you ponder about whether you want to teach more or not. Plus...Grace, you are superwoman! =) You are AMAZING. Sometimes, I still wonder if teaching is for me. I think that I'm a pretty good teacher, but I know there are many things I need to fix. I miss you and I can't wait to see you soon. God Bless!